Bacon Spinach Pasta Pinterst February 2015

As soon as I saw the title of Bacon and Spinach Pasta with Parmesan pop up in my Feedly a couple months ago, I knew I had to make Beth’s recipe. She blogs over at Budget Bytes and you can find her recipe here. Spoiler: it was just as delicious as it sounds!

It’s an easy recipe, using only one dish. You really can’t go wrong with that. I this is a perfect mid week dinner when you don’t have lots of time. It kept well as leftovers the day after as well.

First off, I don’t think I’ve ever cooked pasta in anything other than water. In this recipe you use chicken broth. I though it gave the pasta another flavour that went will with the spinach and bacon. I know I’m going to try doing this again in other pasta dishes I make.

Bacon Spinach Pasta February 2015 (2)

Getting the ingredients ready to go was fairly easy. Once the bacon and onions were chopped I was ready to start cooking. I started off my sautéing the bacon. I drained most of the fat, then cooked up the onions. Next I added the chicken broth to the pan, and finally the pasta.

After 15 minutes there shouldn’t be much broth left because it’s been absorbed by the pasta. Then I add the spinach and allowed it to wilt. It’s amazing how much smaller spinach gets when it wilts. It surprises me every time.

Then I took the pan off the heat and added in the parmesan cheese and mixed it in to combine everything all together. It was then ready to eat! By this point it smelled pretty good, thanks to the bacon.

To be honest I was a little worried it would be too greasy, considering it’s cooked in the same pan as the bacon. However, pouring off most of the fat did the trick.

The entire family liked it, even my mom who isn’t always a big pasta fan. It was also pretty nice to get some veggies in the mail to go along with the carbs from the pasta. Having the veggies in with the main dish sometimes makes it easier to get them in throughout the day.

If you’re looking for a quick, simple one pot dinner to make, I’d definitely recommend Budget Bytes’s Bacon and Spinach Pasta with Parmesan (click for the recipe). It was easy to make, tasted great, and I had leftovers for the next day.

Leave me a comment with the last “new to you” recipe you tried.

Bacon Spinach Pasta Recipe

12 thoughts on “Bacon Spinach Pasta Recipe

• February 5, 2015 at 8:02 am

I LOVE experimenting! I just made veggie burgers last night and they were totally BOMB! Haha, my first time a year ago is still made fun of bc it was so bad. I made up for it! I love Oh She Glows cookbook!!

• February 5, 2015 at 12:45 pm

I have yet to try making veggie burgers at home, though I have them once in awhile when I’m out. I think everyone has at least one disastrous cooking episode that no one will let them live down.

• February 5, 2015 at 9:30 am

I cook pasta in broth all the time. I also use bouillon cubes to make a “broth” or add to boiling water…and chicken base in small amounts works as well.
    Spinach is an ingredient I am not always confident with. I hate when it turns out soggy. We are going to have this recipe for dinner soon and I am sure tummies will be happy…thanks.
    I try a LOT of new recipes and techniques. One that springs to mind is Buttery Tomato Pasta that I served alongside pot roast. Mine used various veggie rotini. I had never put that much butter in a pasta sauce and definitely would not have thought to do this with a tomato sauce.
    Another recent experiment was Alton Brown’s way of doing glazed carrots…it includes chili powder and a good ginger ale.Totally changes how you normally expect glazed carrots to taste.
    When we have the ginger ale and there is bourbon on hand…I now like to have a mug of cold ginger ale with a splash of whiskey added. This gives the ginger ale a mature taste and some night I want to serve it along really good burgers.
    I will post links to the recipes I mentioned later. They are yummy.
    Thank you for your visit to my blog!

• February 5, 2015 at 12:44 pm

It sounds like you’re quite the cook! And a more adventurous one than me.

• February 6, 2015 at 12:18 am

That looks delicious. I’ll have to make it sometime. I’ve never made pasta using chicken broth before.

• February 6, 2015 at 8:39 am

It was my first time using chicken broth too. I was a little skeptical at first, but it turned out really good.

• February 6, 2015 at 8:38 am

My dad and brother love bacon as well, so I figured they’d like this recipe.

• February 6, 2015 at 8:32 am

Oh my goodness, this looks yummy!

• February 6, 2015 at 8:45 am

It was delicious. I’ll definitely be making this again.

• February 11, 2015 at 10:17 am

yum!!! This looks delish!!! Will Definitely have to give this a try…thanks for sharing.

• February 11, 2015 at 11:28 am

The bacon and spinach were great together. I’m sure you’ll love it too!